Wednesday, September 01, 2004

YOGA in L.A.

Let me be the first to admit that I do yoga. My defence, however, is that I've been doing it daily for almost 20 yrs, and at home. Getting inappropriately biblical, This delivers me from fad-ism, But leads me not into modesty.

Anyway, I've been intrigued by the current fascination with yoga. It's quite something to consider women in L.A. charging along in their SUV's, on the phone, on the horn, not signalling, cursing others, en route to yoga class.
Such at-oneness, compassion, detachment; such higher focus.

It's only natural that new interpretations for the time-honored yoga postures would evolve, with an emphasis on today's lifestyle.
They're not as esoteric as you'd think. We've all seen people lane change incorrectly by not performing The Twist posture first. How about that woman who failed to focus on The Wheel? Lord knows we've had our fill of guys driving like The Cock while on The Phone (sorry). Regrettably, few of them advance to higher union with The Tree, or detach from The Bridge.
Below are examples of a few of the modern renditions I've encountered. Onward progress!


The Headstand


The Plough


The Sideways Crow


The Sponge (Hindu- The Corpse)-group variation.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

www.wreckedexotics.com

I think these guys were doing Tae-Bo!
-Shawn

Anonymous said...

freaking funny