Thursday, September 01, 2005

Sticker Shock

Stabbing and steering my pickup down La Cienega today, commuting alone (a very high utilization of passenger capacity by L.A. standards--1/3), I observed the following:

A silver Audi TT coupe (have you seen any other colors?) bearing two stickers--one on the rear window and one on the trunk. Through their incongruency, if in my opinion only, these served as proud badges of confused altruism and misguided patriotism (have you seen any other kinds?).

The first, on the center of the rear window, was the mandatory for neo-Buddhists, "FREE TIBET" sticker, which I have no quarrel with--every actress should stand for something. The second was one of those magnetic goddamn ribbons we will never be free of. It was the latest rendition of the apparition--yellow with a black mourning band on one 'arm' and of course, "Support Our Troops."

If I was a Tibetan watching the way Iraq was being set FREE, I'd be pounding down my glacier water, my goat cheese, and hopping on the first toboggan right the fuck out of there, before any Troops showed up. No matter how well supported.

I watched as Audi-Doody made a right at the light, headed to a job making wrist bracelets of asbestos embossed with "LIVE STRONG".

2 comments:

Bryce Eddings said...

Angelina Jolie gets in mama-bear mode
Suzanne Condie Lambert The Arizona Republic Sept. 2, 2005 08:20 AM Angelina Jolie is thinking of taking a British tabloid to court over a report that daughter Zahara's birth mother is alive.
Bryce Eddings
breddings.blogspot.com
Check out my site about forex trading strategy

Anonymous said...

I was going through my old emails and found your blog! How happy this makes me! Hope you're well sweety.